Summary: This guide will walk you through what the most common video formats are and which is the best video format to use. It will tell you about the practical tips on how to choose the best video format based on your needs and how to change the format of a video.
If you’re making a video to share on a social media platform, like YouTube, you will surely meet a question - what video format does YouTube use? Or what's the best video format should you choose? There are indeed a vast amount of video formats, and it is challenging to choose the best one for your project.
Here in this blog, we will talk about the most common video formats and how to choose the best video format based on your needs - for sharing on YouTube or enjoying on an iPhone, and how to change the format of a video with an online video converter.
There are indeed a vast amount of video formats, let's take a look at some most common video formats here:
# MP4 [Moving Pictures Expert Group 4]
- As the most widely-used and supported video format, MP4 is an abbreviation term of MPEG-4 Part 14, it can also store video files, audio files, text, and still images.
# MOV [Apple Quicktime Format]
- MOV, developed by Apple, is designed explicitly for QuickTime Player. But it also compatible with Windows because there's a version of QuickTime Player for Windows. It can store audio, text, and video effects. MOV is considered one of the best looking video formats for its high quality.
# AVI [Audio Video Interleave]
- AVI, with high quality, is one of the most versatile video formats, compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux and supported by most web browsers. Due to its high quality, AVI videos are hard to compress, and this video format may not be ideal for streaming.
# WMV [Windows Media Video]
- It was developed by Microsoft and is the main video format supported by the Windows operating system.
# FLV [Flash Video Format]
- It is one of the most versatile and popular video formats around, designed for Adobe Flash Video Players. For the availability of cross-platform of Flash video players, it has even become more popular.
What's the best video format? The answer will vary depending on your needs. So we'll talk about how to choose the best video format based on your need.
2.1 Best Video Format for YouTube
Image Board: Video Format for YouTube
First, let's talk about what video format YouTube use. According to the YouTube support page, there is a wide variety of video formats currently accepted by YouTube: .MOV, .MPEG4, .MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .FLV, HEVC (h265), and more.
Then what is the best video format for YouTube? YouTube recommends that you upload your video as an MP4 with H.264 video codec and AAC audio codec.
2.2 Supported Video Formats for iPhone
Image Board: Video Format for iPhone
Videos won't play on iPhone? What video format does the iPhone use? Here's a list of iPhone compatible video formats according to Apple official statement:
iPhone playback video:
- H.264 video up to 1080P, 60 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
- MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
- Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.
iPhone recording format:
- H.264 QuickTime files in MOV format at 1080P 30fps is default recording format for iPhone. Slo-mo videos are recorded in 720p at 240fps or 1080P 120 fps.
- High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) under the "High Efficiency" option for all iPhones running iOS 11 onwards.
- If you're going to show the video on the web, you should choose a video format that is supported by most browsers, then MP4 and WEBM should be your best choice.
- If you are archiving a home video, choose a format that is high quality and has a good chance of being playable in the future. In this case, MP4 or AVI (using an open codec) must be your best choice.
- If you work at a company using an older Windows computer, you may need a format that is highly compressed and supported by Windows, which must be a WMV file.
Pro Tips Here are more tips for you to choose the best video format in different situations:
Then how to change the format of a video? Just turn to a video converter! Here we share an easy-to-use and free online video converter for you to change the format of a video. That is FlexClip free video converter, which enables you to convert MP4, MOV, M4V, AVI, WMV, FLV, MKV, etc. to MP4 & Webm. And you can easily get a video in the best (or supported) format for your iPhone and YouTube in only simple three steps: choose a video, set the specs, and download.
Image Board: FlexClip Video Converter
FlexClip online video converter is a web-based tool for converting videos to other formats, and you can do it all from your browser! No downloads or any add-ons required.
There is a huge variety of video formats available, what's the best video format? It mainly depends on where your video is used. We hope our advice on choosing the best video format can give you some inspiration to find your way for video making and editing.