Having ideal lighting is essential for video making.
However, in reality, due to the gloomy weather and low budget, you often end up with video footage, either too dark or way underexposed to be used.
That's why to adjust video brightness becomes so vital in post-production.
In this article, we will walk you through some of the best free online video editors, PC editing software, video apps, and bonus tips that would transform your dark and unclear videos into a brightened masterpiece.
Adjust Video Brightness Online Free
Best Features of Online Video Editor
- Free of charge
- No software download needed
- An infinite number of expertly-designed templates, filters, and video stock available
- Super fast & user-friendly interface for beginners to adjust video brightness color, contrast, etc.
Undoubtedly, adjusting the brightness of your video with a free online editor like Flexclip is the best option to go. Even to people with no editing experience, you will use Flexclip at great ease.
Please follow the step-by-step guide to brighten your videos below:
Adjust Video Brightness with Flexclip
Step 1: Import the Video to Flexclip Online Editor
Open the "Adjust Video Brightness" tool of Flexclip, you may either drag and drop your video or import it from your local computer.
Just drag and drop your video here
Step 2: Adjust the Video Brightness
Adjust video brightness with Flexclip
Just brighten your video by dragging the "exposure" or "brightness" slider slowly to the right. Once you are done with your editing, simply click on the " Export Video" Button. Then you can download your clips to your local computer. So easy, isn't it?
- As you increase the exposure of the video, the highlight of the original video starts to lose its details and becomes too washed out. So, do pull it slightly. Feel free to reach us for any technical help
- To achieve the best result, a useful trick is first to bring the brightness slider down to add more black in the video, then work slowly to retrieve the right exposure by dragging the exposure button.
- You may also adjust the contrast, temperature, and tint (hue) of your video as well as font, filter, music,etc and apply the effect to other clips when needed.
Of course, other online video editors are also available. However, if you are just a beginner and want to fix the brightness, exposure, and contrast issue of your video quickly, the easy-to-use Flexclip editing interface is highly recommended.
Let's be clear what video marketing is and isn't. It's not those unrefined, smartphone vids being randomly posted on social media platforms. That's not to say smartphone videos are not valuable, but they need some refining.
Adjust Video Brightness with Video Apps for iPhone and Android users
Record the video clips and edit them right away for the Instagram feed. The small yet versatile video apps on your smartphone are other useful tools to help you fix the lighting issues of your videos.
If you are always on the move and love shooting videos with your cellphones, the following recommended videos apps shall help you adjust video brightness and revive the precious moments.
FilmoraGo (available to IOS and Android)
User-friendly for video editing novices, Filmorago is a good choice to enhance the lighting of your dark videos, apart from powerful in-built templates, music, stickers, and other editing tools.
Brighten video with FilmoraGo
To brighten your video with FilmoraGo:
- 1.Import your video
- 2.Choose the "Adjustments" button, then press the sun-like icon and drag the brightness slider to increase the exposure of the video.
Inshot (available to IOS and Android)
Capable of trimming, blurring background, adding music, text and emoji and tons of filters, Inshot is a popular video app, offering high-quality video editing experiences for people of all ages.
Adjust the brightness of video with Inshot
To brighten your video with Inshot: :
- 1.Import your video
- Press the "Adjust" button, choose the "Lightness" icon then drag the lightness slider to achieve the effect you want. You may also fine-tune the contrast, warmth, tint, saturation, etc of your video.
Videoleap (available to IOS and Android)
Essentially, Videoleap is a powerful video and slideshow editor. Not only can you use the basic video editing tools like trimming, cropping, but also customize layers, cinematic composition and play with the fonts and filters.
Lighten video with Videoleap
To adjust brightness level on video with Videoleap:
- 1.Add your video to the media library
- Find the "Brightness" button at the bottom, then adjust the slider to either brighten or darken the video.
Video Editing Software to Adjust Video Brightness
If you opt for some advanced editing experiences and want to take full control of the details for adjusting the brightness, contrast, and hue and saturation of your video, then Adobe Premiere Pro and Camtasia would be the ultimate choice for you.
The only drawback would be that both two software are not free and work best on a more powerful PC and the editing with them takes more pro skills. So only recommended to the avid V-bloggers and filmmakers.
How to Use Adobe Premiere Pro to Brighten Your Videos
Brighten the video with Adobe Premiere Pro
Brighten your video with Adobe Premiere Pro with 3 steps:
- 1.Choose the video clip you want to brighten.
- 2.Then click on the "Effect Control" window on the left from the top.
- 3.Choose the "Brightness" option and drag the slider to brighten your video.
How to Use Camtasia to Brighten Your Videos
brighten the video with Camtasia
You may follow the 3 steps to brighten your video with Camtasia:
- 1.Choose the clip you want to brighten
- 2.Right-click and choose Add Effects> Visual Effects > Color Adjustment
- 3.Now, you can change the brightness, contrast, and saturation of your video. Look for more options? Check for 5 Best Free Video Editing Software
- In fact, for most of the video editing software, there will be an " effect panel" in which the "brightness and contrast" control button can be found. So, no worries.
Bonus Tips to Adjust Video Brightness for Your Video
Well, in reality sometimes even if you increase the brightness of your video, the overall effect remains unsatisfied.
That is largely because you fail to look at your video as a whole and ignore the underlying rules that govern the hue, saturation, and brightness (luminance), etc. in your video.
So, before you brighten or darken your video, keep the following two advice in mind:
1.Adjust the Brightness of Your Video by Thinking as a Whole
Is a brighter video always better than the dark video? Well, it depends. If your videos are made to convey the feeling of hope and peace, positivity, and love and happiness, etc then a brighter video with warmer ambient light does fit in.
Video with bright lighting expresses hope and harmony (source from Hideaki Hamada)
Conversely, if your clips are created to heighten the mood of loneliness,fear, honor, etc. Then, it would be absurd to show up the details of messy shadows and brighten the gloomy clouds.
Meanwhile, highlight, mid-tone, and shadow are an integral part of an image and video. Because of their fine combination, you can sense an object in 3 dimensional way. So, shadows aren't always the enemy of brightness. They live side by side, harmoniously.
Different lighting creates different images of the same object.
So, as you retouch your video, esp the brightness, do think of the bigger picture than a few isolated clips.
2.Balance the Hue, Saturation, and Brightness in Your Video
Basics You Should Know:
HSL in adjusting video brightness
- Hue: different categories of colors, such as red, blue, green, cyan, pink, yellow, purple, etc.
- Saturation:vibrance or of colors, how rich your color is, say from black and white to natural and over-saturated colors.
- Brightness(or luminance): how bright or dark your video or image is.
In reality, the tricky thing is that as you adjust any of these three elements in your video, the other 2 elements will automatically change.
Normally, as you increase the brightness or exposure of your video, the video would become less saturated and the details of your highlights will be gone. You end up with an overexposed video that has little taste and character.
While you darken your video, the video would be much saturated and looks oily and filthy and whereas the highlight starts to reveal more details and the hue remains unchanged.
Adjust video brightness without overexposing it
So, we do recommend that as you adjust the video brightness, do keep an eye on the subtle change of hue, saturation, and contrast of your video.
In many cases, to get a balanced brightness change, you need to bring down the brightness and then slowly pull up the exposure and adjust saturation accordingly. Only by thinking of the video, theme, mood, etc. as a whole, can you find the appropriate brightness of the video.
The Bottom Line
Adjusting video brightness, either brighten or darken the video, is crucial for video post-production. There are many options to meet the needs of all video users.Using the free online video maker like Flexcip to change the video brightness is the easiest and fastest option of all. And to give it a try.
Of course, different strokes for different folks. You may choose your favorite options like video apps or a more professional software like adobe premiere pro. If you do enjoy our article, don't forget to share it with your friends on social media. And if you have more questions, don't hesitate to reach us for easy video solutions.
The easiest way to help you create custom videos, no design skills needed.Start Now
Hot & Trending
Ultimate Tik Tok Guide – How to Tik Tok & How to Make a Tik Tok Video that Gets Likes
How to Download Part of a YouTube Video Online
The Best Birthday Video Maker for You to Create Birthday Videos Online for Free
Best 5 YouTube to WAV Converters
2020 Large Collection of Creative and Funny Birthday Video Ideas for Your Loved Ones
Remove/Reduce Background Noise with 3 Best Free Audio Optimizers
How to Add Multiple Photos to One Instagram Story
How to Do a Duet on TikTok on Android/iOS Phone